[Numpy-discussion] Dropping support for Accelerate/veclib?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 16:45:05 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 5:17 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> > David Cournapeau <cournape <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > [clip]
> >> What is the default ABI used on homebrew ? I think we should just
> >> follow that, given that Apple cannot figure it out.
> >
> > I think for Scipy homebrew uses the Gfortran ABI:
> > https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/python/py-scipy/Portfile
> >
> > But that's probably the wrong thing to do, it doesn't work:
> > http://trac.macports.org/ticket/36694
> >
> > For Octave, they have -ff2c:
> > https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/math/octave/Portfile
> >
> >     ***
> >
> > A third option (maybe the best one) could be to add an ABI check
> > to numpy.distutils BLAS/LAPACK detection --- compile a small test
> > program that checks SDOT/CDOTU/DDOT etc., and refuse to use the
> > BLAS/LAPACK libraries if they give incorrect results. After that,
> > we can also remove the sdot/cdotu wrappers.
> >
> > This approach is used by Octave.
> >
> > This leaves the problem of dealing with Fortran ABI to those in
> > charge of the build environment, e.g., macports, Enthought, ...,
> > who are also in the best position to pick the correct solution
> > per each platform supported.
> >
> > AFAIK custom compiler flags can be injected via FOPT/FFLAGS/LDFLAGS,
> > so doing something like
> >
> >     export FOPT="-ff2c"
> >
> > or
> >
> >     export LDFLAGS="-ldotwrp -lblas"
> >
> > works? This makes things a bit more complicated to the builder, an
> > issue that can be solved with documentation, and keeping that up to
> > date is easier than hardcoding stuff into numpy.distutils.
>
> What will be the performance drop for the default OSX installer
> version of numpy, if we drop Accelerate / veclib support?

Answer on scipy-dev:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.devel/17864
If anyone knows of better benchmarks, please share.

Joern Hees just wrote up how to install with OpenBLAS, if you want to know
for your application you can give it a try:
http://joernhees.de/blog/2013/06/08/mac-os-x-10-8-scientific-python-with-homebrew/

Ralf