[Numpy-discussion] PIL and NumPy

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 15 11:05:45 EDT 2013

On Jul 12, 2013, at 8:51 PM, Brady McCary <brady.mccary at gmail.com> wrote:

> something to do with an alpha channel being present.

I'd check and see how PIL is storing the alpha channel. If it's RGBA,
then I'd expect it to work.

But I'd PIL is storing the alpha channel as a separate band, then I'm
not surprised you have an issue.

Can you either drop the alpha or convert to RGBA?

There is also a package called something line "imageArray" that loads
and saves image formats directly to/from numpy arrays-maybe that would
be helpful.

CHB