[Numpy-discussion] Which Python to use for Mac binaries

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 7 23:41:14 EST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to install the dmg images without root access from the
> command line?

I've never tried, but it looks like you can:

http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/2031/install-an-mpkg-from-the-command-line-on-osx

> But I am not currently sure what to do with it. The Python.mpkg
> directory seems to contain the sources.

yup -- that's where everything is. the "installer" command should be
able to unpack it.

> By replicating the setup, at least once (preferably automated) would
> make me understand things much better.
> If possible, I would prefer to just use a command line (ssh) to do all
> that. (So that's maybe building from source
> is the only option.)

If you ndo need to build from source, see this message for a bit more info:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2012-October/023742.html

there are a few prerequisites you need to install first...

Either way, you should be able to build a start-to-finish build script.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov