[Numpy-discussion] high dimensional array -> python scalar/index

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 13:28:40 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Sebastian Berg
<sebastian at sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> Question for everyone, is this really reasonable:

> 5
> 5
> 2

Not sure I understand the point

looks reasonable to my

int has an implied squeeze, if it succeeds

not so python lists

>>> int([[1]])
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: int() argument must be a string or a number, not 'list'

>>> [0,1,2,3][np.array([[2, 2], [0, 1]])]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: only integer arrays with one element can be converted to an index

but we can to more fun things with numpy

>>> np.array([0,1,2,3])[np.array([[2, 2], [0, 1]])]
array([[2, 2],
       [0, 1]])

Josef