[Numpy-discussion] Rank-0 arrays - reprise

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Sun Jan 6 02:58:58 EST 2013

On 01/05/2013 10:31 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On 5 Jan 2013 12:16, "Matthew Brett" <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Following on from Nathaniel's explorations of the scalar - array
>> casting rules, some resources on rank-0 arrays.
>>
>> The discussion that Nathaniel tracked down on "rank-0 arrays"; it also
>> makes reference to casting.  The rank-0 arrays seem to have been one
>> way of solving the problem of maintaining array dtypes other than bool
>> / float / int:
>>
>> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2002-September/001612.html
>>
>> Quoting from an email from Travis in that thread, replying to an email
>> from Tim Hochberg:
>>
>> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2002-September/001647.html
>>
>> <quote>
>>> Frankly, I have no idea what the implimentation details would be, but
>>> could we get rid of rank-0 arrays altogether? I have always simply found
>>> them strange and confusing... What are they really neccesary for
>>> (besides holding scalar values of different precision that standard
>>> Pyton scalars)?
>>
>> With new coercion rules this becomes a possibility.  Arguments against it
>> are that  special rank-0 arrays behave as more consistent numbers with the
>> rest of Numeric than Python scalars.  In other words they have a length
>> and a shape and one can right N-dimensional code that works the same even
>> when the result is a scalar.
>>
>> Another advantage of having a Numeric scalar is that we can control the
>> behavior of floating point operations better.
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> if only Python scalars were available and sum(a) returned 0, then
>>
>>   1 / sum(a)  would behave as Python behaves (always raises error).
>>
>> while with our own scalars
>>
>> 1 / sum(a)   could potentially behave however the user wanted.
>> </quote>
>>
>> There seemed then to be some impetus to remove rank-0 arrays and
>> replace them with Python scalar types with the various numpy
>> precisions :
>>
>> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2002-September/013983.html
>>
>> Travis' recent email hints at something that seems similar, but I
>> don't understand what he means:
>>
>> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2012-December/064795.html
>>
>> <quote>
>> Don't create array-scalars.  Instead, make the data-type object a
>> meta-type object whose instances are the items returned from NumPy
>> arrays.   There is no need for a separate array-scalar object and in
>> fact it's confusing to the type-system.    I understand that now.  I
>> did not understand that 5 years ago.
>> </quote>
>>
>> Travis - can you expand?
>
> Numpy has 3 partially overlapping concepts:
>
> A) scalars (what Travis calls "array scalars"): Things like "float64",
> "int32". These are ordinary Python classes; usually when you subscript
> an array, what you get back is an instance of one of these classes:

> [...]

str is immutable which makes this a lot easier to deal with without
getting confused. So basically you have:

a[0:1] # read-write view
a[[0]] # read-write copy
a[0] # read-only view

AND, += are allowed on all read-only arrays, they just transparently
create a copy instead of doing the operation in-place.

Try to enumerate all the fundamentally different things (if you count
memory use/running time) that can happen for ndarrays a, b, and
arbitrary x here:

a += b[x]

That's already quite a lot, your proposal adds even more options. It's
certainly a lot more complicated than str.

To me it all sounds like a lot of rules introduced just to have the
result of a[0] be "kind of a scalar" without actually choosing that option.

BUT I should read up on that thread you posted on why that won't work,
didn't have time yet...

Dag Sverre