[Numpy-discussion] Numpy speed ups to simple tasks - final findings and suggestions

Raul Cota raul at virtualmaterials.com
Fri Jan 4 18:36:28 EST 2013

On 04/01/2013 2:33 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 6:50 AM, Raul Cota <raul at virtualmaterials.com> wrote:
>> On 02/01/2013 7:56 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>>> But, it's almost certainly possible to optimize numpy's float64 (and
>>> friends), so that they are themselves (almost) as fast as the native
>>> python objects. And that would help all the code that uses them, not
>>> just the ones where regular python floats could be substituted
>>> instead. Have you tried profiling, say, float64 * float64 to figure
>>> out where the bottlenecks are?
>> Seems to be split between
>> - (primarily) the memory allocation/deallocation of the float64 that is
>> created from the operation float64 * float64. This is the reason why float64
>> * Pyfloat got improved with one of my changes because PyFloat was being
>> internally converted into a float64 before doing the multiplication.
>>
>> - the rest of the time is the actual multiplication path way.
> Running a quick profile on Linux x86-64 of
>    x = np.float64(5.5)
>    for i in xrange(n):
>       x * x
> I find that ~50% of the total CPU time is inside feclearexcept(), the
> function which resets the floating point error checking registers --
> and most of this is inside a single instruction, stmxcsr ("store sse
> control register").

I find strange you don't see bottleneck in allocation of a float64.

is it easy for you to profile this ?

x = np.float64(5.5)
y = 5.5
for i in xrange(n):
     x * y

numpy internally translates y into a float64 temporarily and then
discards it and I seem to remember is a bit over two times slower than x * x

I will try to do your suggestions on

PyUFunc_clearfperr/PyUFunc_getfperror

and see what I get. Haven't gotten around to get going with being able
to do a pull request for the previous stuff. if changes are worth while
would it be ok if I also create one for this ?

Thanks again,

Raul