[Numpy-discussion] Any plans for windows 64-bit installer for 1.7?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 15:50:52 EST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
<chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> a) If we cannot build Scipy now, it may or may not be acceptable to
>> release numpy now.  I think it is, you (Ralf) think it isn't, we
>> haven't discussed that.  It may not come up.
>
> Is anyone suggesting we hold the whole release for this? I fnot, then
> why would you say we shouldnt' put out a 64 bit Windows numpy binary
> because we dont' ahve a matching Scipy one? folks that need Scipy will
> have to find a way to built it  themselves anyway, and folks that use
> numpy without scipy would have a nice binary to use -- That seems like
> value-added to me.

Right - me too - but we could hold off that question until Ondrej has
had a chance to build both I guess?

>> d) It may or may not be acceptable to add the DLL directory to the
>> PATH on numpy import.  David says not, Christophe disagrees, we
>> haven't really discussed that.
>
> I like the "load them with ctypes" approach better, but I don't know
> how much effort it would be to implement that.
>
> I'm still not totally clear if there is an issue with buildings other
> extensions tht rely on numpy/scipy -- can they be built with mingGW if
> numpy/scipy were built with MSVC (Or any other compiler for that
> matter).

I had the impression that the problem with Mingw64 was the need to
load Mingw DLLs at run time - if that's the same for MSVC / MKL, maybe
there's no advantage to using the MS tools?  But I don't understand
the issues very well.

Cheers,

Matthew