[Numpy-discussion] Any plans for windows 64-bit installer for 1.7?

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 6 19:52:44 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you clarify the people you think will get stuck?  I think I'm
> right in saying that anyone with a C extension should be able to build
> them against numpy, by installing the free (as-in-beer) MS tools?

yup -- and that's the recommended (easiest) way to do it against the
the python.org python.

and you can use mingw to compile extensions that will run with the
python.org python (built with MSVC), can you not use mingw to build
extensions that will work with a MSVC-build numpy?

> So
> do you just mean people needing a Fortran compiler?  That's a small
> constituency, I think.

particularly small overlap between needing fortran (and knowing how to
deal with building it) and needing binaries of numpy....

if someone has a fortran-extension-building solution -- is it likeley
not to work with a MSVC-built numpy?

> And, if we start providing installers, I
> suspect we'll find that people start solving the remaining issues much
> more quickly than would happen if we don't provide them.

+1

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov