[Numpy-discussion] Deprecate boolean math operators?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 16:14:13 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Sebastian Berg
<sebastian at sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-12-06 at 15:30 -0500, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:

>> > +1
>>
>> +0.5
>> (I would still prefer a different binary minus, but it would be
>> inconsistent with a logical unary minus that negates.)
>>

> The question is if the current xor behaviour can make sense? It doesn't
> seem to make much sense mathematically? Which only leaves that `abs(x -
> y)` is actually what a (python) programmer might expect.
> I think I would like to deprecate at least the unary one. The ~ kind of
> behaviour just doesn't fit as far as I can see.

I haven't seen any real use cases for xor yet.
My impression is that both plus and minus are just overflow accidents
and not intentional. plus works in a useful way, minus as xor might be
used once per century.

I would deprecate both unary and binary minus.

(And when nobody is looking in two versions from now, I would add a
binary minus that overflows to the clipped version, so I get a set
subtraction. :)

>> 5. `/` is useless
>> 6 `**` follows from 1.

>>> m1 ** m2
array([1, 0, 1, 1], dtype=int8)
>>> m1 ** 2
array([False, False,  True,  True], dtype=bool)
>>> m1 ** 3
array([0, 0, 1, 1])

but I'm using python with an old numpy right now
>>> np.__version__
'1.6.1'

> Both of these are currently not defined, they will just cause upcast to
> int8. I suppose it would be possible to deprecate that upcast though
> (same goes for most all other ufuncs/operators in principle).

We would have to start the discussion again for all other
operators/ufuncs to see if they are useful in some cases.
For most treating as int will make sense, I guess.

Josef