[Numpy-discussion] OS X binaries for releases

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 16:48:51 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Building binaries for releases is currently quite complex and
time-consuming. For OS X we need two different machines, because we still
provide binaries for OS X 10.5 and PPC machines. I propose to not do this
anymore. It doesn't mean we completely drop support for 10.5 and PPC, just
that we don't produce binaries. PPC was phased out in 2006 and OS X 10.6
came out in 2009, so there can't be a lot of demand for it (and the
download stats at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.7.1/confirm this).

Furthermore I propose to not provide 2.6 binaries anymore. Downloads of 2.6
OS X binaries were <5% of the 2.7 ones. We did the same with 2.4 for a long
time - support it but no binaries.

So what we'd have left at the moment is only the 64-bit/32-bit universal
binary for 10.6 and up. What we finally need to add is 3.x OS X binaries.
We can make an attempt to build these on 10.8 - since we have access to a
hosted 10.8 Mac Mini it would allow all devs to easily do a release
(leaving aside the Windows issue). If anyone has tried the 10.6 SDK on 10.8
and knows if it actually works, that would be helpful.

Any concerns, objections?

Cheers,
Ralf

P.S. the same proposal applies of course also to scipy