[Numpy-discussion] Upcoming 1.8 release.

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 16:04:39 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,

> >> I'm afraid I don't understand the discussion on timezones in
> >> datetime64, but I have the impression that those who do think it needs
> >> an urgent decision and some action for the short term.  Is that right,
> >> datetimers?
> >>
> >> If that's so, and there are worthwhile changes that are practical in
> >> the next few weeks, it seems reasonable to wait.
> >>

> > My impression is that we will have something for 1.9. If it comes in for
> > 1.8, fine. But I think it is still under development. Hopefully the 1.9
> > release will come out next spring.
>
> OK - then I guess you are saying it is up you, our datetimer friends,
> to make a proposal and timetable and implementation, if y'all think it
> can be done in the next few weeks,

My impression: there's a reasonable amount of agreement on what has to be
done, but no one has stepped up to do the work. It doesn't look like
something that should block a release, because there's not a huge amount of
interest and the API is already labeled 'experimental'. So I don't really
see an issue in releasing 1.8 with the same behavior as 1.7.

Cheers,
Ralf