[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.7.0b2 release

Frédéric Bastien nouiz at nouiz.org
Mon Sep 24 16:25:44 EDT 2012

Hi,

I tested this new beta on Theano and discovered an interface change
that was not there in the beta 1.

New behavior:
numpy.ndindex().next()
(0,)

Old behavior:
numpy.ndindex().next()
()

This break some Theano code that look like this:

import numpy
shape=()
out_shape=[12]
random_state=numpy.random.RandomState()

out = numpy.zeros(out_shape, int)
for i in numpy.ndindex(*shape):
    out[i] = random_state.permutation(5)

I suppose this is an regression as the only mention of ndindex in the
first email of this change is that it is faster.

There is a second "regression" in ndindex This was working in the
past, but it raise an ValueError now:

numpy.ndindex((2,1,1,1))

But If I call numpy.ndindex(2,1,1,1)

The documentation[1] do not talk about receiving a tuple as input. I
already make a commit to change Theano code to make it work. But this
could break other people code. It is up to you to decide if you want
this, but a warning in the release note would be great to help people
know that the old not documented behavior changed.

Do you know if the first change is expected? This will probably cause
bad results in some people code if you intended this change.

Fred

[1] http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.ndindex.html