[Numpy-discussion] numpy where function on different sized arrays

Siegfried Gonzi sgonzi at staffmail.ed.ac.uk
Sat Nov 24 15:36:45 EST 2012

Hi all

This must have been answered in the past but my google search capabilities are not the best.

Given an array A say of dimension 40x60 and given another array/vector B of dimension 20 (the values in B occur only once).

What I would like to do is the following which of course does not work (by the way doesn't work in IDL either):

indx=where(A == B)

I understand A and B are both of different dimensions. So my question: what would the fastest or proper way to accomplish this (I found a solution but think is rather awkward and not very scipy/numpy-tonic tough).

Thanks
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.