[Numpy-discussion] Use OpenBLAS for the binary releases?

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Wed Nov 21 09:31:35 EST 2012

On 21.11.2012 15:01, David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Sturla Molden<sturla at molden.no>  wrote:
>> But do we need a binary OpenBLAS on Mac? Isn't there an accelerate framework with BLAS and LAPACK on that platform?
>
> Because of this: https://gist.github.com/2027412
>
> Numpy + accelerate is essentially unusable with multiprocessing.

See this too:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8748790/memory-leak-in-dgemm

If they put a memory leak in DGEMM, basically most of LAPACK is useless
as well. That is very sloppy of Apple.

And how could they fail to detect that DGEMM crashes on fork()? Amazing...

It doesn't seem the Grand Central Dispatch is very robust then...

Sturla