[Numpy-discussion] numpy and readline installation fails

Paul Anton Letnes paul.anton.letnes at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 12:03:49 EDT 2012

Hello,

I don't know exactly what went wrong. I'd start out my debugging by
1) which python # see whether you're running apple's python in /usr/bin/python, or the one you tried to install
2) which easy_install # did you run Apple-python's easy_install, or the one you (tried to) installed?
3) If all of the above match, try running python (not ipython) and try to import numpy. Apple's python ships with numpy (at least the Lion / 10.7 one does).
4) Next, print numpy.__file__ to see whether numpy got installed to where it should

In general, I'd advice you to install one package at a time, then test it to see whether it has been installed properly. When you're confident everything is OK, move on to the next package. For instance, test numpy by
$ python -c 'import numpy; numpy.test()'
and scipy with
$ python -c 'import scipy;scipy.test()'
(for instance).

When you're sure the fundament (python, numpy) is in order, proceed with the house (scipy, matplotlib).

Cheers
Paul