[Numpy-discussion] "import numpy" performance

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 18:21:57 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Andrew Dalke <dalke at dalkescientific.com> wrote:

> Thus, I don't see any way that I can import 'multiarray' directly,
> because the underlying C code is the one which imports
> 'numpy.core.multiarray' and by design it is inaccessible to change
> from Python code.

I was just referring to how David was benchmarking the cost of
multiarray in isolation, which can indeed be done, and is useful for
understanding the cumulative effect.

Indeed for your case, it's the sum total of what import_array does
that ultimately matters, but it's still useful to be able to
understand these pieces in isolation.

Cheers,