[Numpy-discussion] "import numpy" performance

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 17:38:39 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Andrew Dalke <dalke at dalkescientific.com> wrote:

> so the relevant timing test is more likely:
>
> % time python -c 'import numpy.core.multiarray'
> 0.086u 0.031s 0:00.12 91.6%     0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

No, that's the wrong thing to test, because it effectively amounts to
'import numpy', sicne the numpy __init__ file is still executed.  As
David indicated, you must import multarray.so by itself.

> I do not know how to run the timing test you did, as I get:
>
> % python -c "import multiarray"
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named multi array

You just have to cd to the directory where multiarray.so lives.  I get
the same numbers as David:

longs[core]> time python -c ''

real	0m0.038s
user	0m0.032s
sys	0m0.000s
longs[core]> time python -c 'import multiarray'

real	0m0.035s
user	0m0.020s
sys	0m0.012s
longs[core]> pwd
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/numpy/core

Cheers,