[Numpy-discussion] www.numpy.org home page

klo klonuo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 10:48:17 EST 2012

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 14:52:28 +0100, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Does anyone have an informed opinion on the quality of these books:
>
> "NumPy 1.5 Beginner's Guide", Ivan Idris,
> http://www.packtpub.com/numpy-1-5-using-real-world-examples-beginners-guide/book
>
> "NumPy Cookbook", Ivan Idris,
> http://www.packtpub.com/numpy-for-python-cookbook/book

Some reviews on first title:

http://gael-varoquaux.info/blog/?p=161
http://glowingpython.blogspot.com/2011/12/book-review-numpy-15-beginners-guide.html

Gael noted http://scipy-lectures.github.com/ which IMHO could be more
promoted. Same for Travis' free Numpy book.

The second title is very fresh, I don't know if anyone did review, but
seems like good companion.

> "Python for Data Analysis", Wes McKinney,
> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023784.do

This is already allover pandas, and although there is introduction to
numpy, it's more focused on pandas data object model then numpy arrays,
logically.

> "SciPy and NumPy", Eli Bressert,
> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920020219.do

This is very short introductory course to numpy and scipy in 40 pages and
next 10 pages about scikit.learn and scikit.image

> The first 5 books at
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4375094/numpy-what-are-the-authoritative-numpy-resources-e-g-documentation-tutorial

Voted answer contains great suggestions. All those books are very good
companions, especially those Springer published.