[Numpy-discussion] www.numpy.org home page

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sun Dec 16 09:51:32 EST 2012

On 16 Dec 2012 13:38, "Ralf Gommers" <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Travis Oliphant <teoliphant at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> For people interested in the www.numpy.org home page:
>>
>> Jon Turner has officially transferred the www.numpy.org domain to
NumFOCUS.      Thank you, Jon for this donation and for being a care-taker
of the domain-name.   We have setup the domain registration to point to
numpy.github.com and I've changed the CNAME in that repostiory to
www.numpy.org

>> I've sent an email to have the numpy.scipy.org page to redirect to
www.numpy.org.

>> The NumPy home page can still be edited in this repository:
 git at github.com:numpy/numpy.org.git.   Pull requests are always welcome ---
especially pull requests that improve the look and feel of the web-page.

>> Two of the content changes that we need to make a decision about is
>>
>>         1) whether or not to put links to books published (Packt
publishing for example has offered a higher percentage of their revenues if
we put a prominent link on www.numpy.org)

> I'm +1 on showing links to books in a sidebar on the main page and/or on
the documentation page, provided that (a) someone in this community can
vouch for the quality of the book, and (b) we accept links for all books
that are relevant and of sufficient quality.

I agree, so long as we're careful to avoid all the huge drama that could
arise from trying to come up with "official" community judgements on the
quality of books produced by members of our community. In practice I guess
this means that we err on the side of inclusion, where all a book would
need is one person who likes it, with no voting or vetoes possible. But
that seems like a fine system - there are plenty of places to get more
fine-gained recommendations.

>>         2) whether or not to accept "Sponsored by" links on the home
page for donations to the project (e.g. Continuum Analytics has sponsored
Ondrej release management, other companies have sponsored pull requests,
other companies may want to provide donations and we would want to
recognize their contributions to the numpy project).

> +1 for putting this on the main page. Something like the Support section
on the IPython main page would be good. It lists specifically what the
support was for.

>> These decisions should be made by the NumPy community which in my mind
are interested people on this list.   Who is interested in this kind of
discussion?

>> We could have these discussions on this list or on the
numfocus at googlegroups.com list and keep this list completely technical
(which I prefer, but I will do whatever the consensus is).

> I'd prefer things that are cross-project to move to the numfocus list,
but things that are specifically about NumPy (which numpy.org content is)
to stay on this list.

+1

-n