[Numpy-discussion] Vagrant VM for building NumPy (1.7.x) Windows binaries

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Aug 13 05:20:12 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 5:13 AM, Ondřej Čertík <ondrej.certik at gmail.com> wrote:
> All essential logic is in these two files:
>
> https://github.com/certik/numpy-vendor/blob/master/fabfile.py
> https://github.com/certik/numpy-vendor/blob/master/setup-wine.sh
>
> The setup-wine.sh can be used directly in Ubuntu as well (it erases
> ~/.wine and reinstalls it).

If you want setup-wine.sh to be generally useful, I'd suggest
- moving the dangerous rm -rf logic to the fabfile instead
- having it set up into a user-specified directory instead of ~/.wine.
My ~/.wine already has stuff in it... With wine it is very trivial to
create a new "windows VM" -- you just set the environment variable
WINEPREFIX to point to any directory, which then acts like ~/.wine.
It's often recommended therefore to install every windows program into
its own pristine WINEPREFIX, so as to avoid cross-contamination, make
it easier to blow things away when necessary, and generally avoid the
difficulty of actually administering windows.

Cheers,
-n