[Numpy-discussion] question about scipy superpack

Tom Krauss thomas.p.krauss at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 14:24:09 EDT 2012

I'm on 10.8 and am using the Apple Mac OS X Mountain Lion python (2.7.2).

Here's what I ended up doing, FWIW:
- I installed "pip" (sudu easy_install pip)
- I installed virtualenv
- created a new virtual environment [recommended since superpack installs a
bunch of development versions of the packages and updates fairly often]
- ran the scipy superpack install script
- it installed DateUtils 0.5.2, which is way old - I removed it and
installed 1.5 instead (with easy_install python-dateutil==1.5)
Result: ipython and SWIG are now running just fine for my code, but I got
some errors in the scipy tests which I need to follow up on.  Also, I got a
message that gfortran failed to install because I didn't sudo since I
thought I didn't need to because I was installing to a virtual environment.
 Not sure if scipy errors are related to gfortran missing.

Thanks to Mr. Chris Fonnesbeck for publishing the Scipy Superpack, you
saved me a ton of time!

The answer to my specific question is that yes, the arrayobject.h header is
included in the numpy egg, which is easy to see since eggs are really just
directories (last night I thought they were some kind of binary)!

Further note, I had to change ipython's "pylab" setting to "osx".