[Numpy-discussion] What is consensus anyway

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 26 13:01:02 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:37 AM, srean <srean.list at gmail.com> wrote:

> On something else that was brought up: I do not consider myself
> competent/prepared enough to take on development, but it is not the
> case that I have _never_ felt the temptation. What I have found
> intimidating and styming is the perceived politics over development
> issues.  The two places where I have felt this are a) on contentious
> threads on the list and b) what seems like legitimate patches tickets
> on trac that seem to be languishing for no compelling technical
> reason. I would be hardpressed to quote specifics, but I have
> encountered this feeling a few times.

Patches languishing on Trac is a real problem. The issue here is not at all
about not wanting those patches, but just about the overhead of getting
them reviewed/fixed/committed. This problem has more or less disappeared
with Github; there are very few PRs that are just sitting there.

As for existing patches on Trac, if you or anyone else has an interest in
one of them, checking that patch for test coverage / documentation and
resubmitting it as a PR would be a massive help.

Ralf