[Numpy-discussion] consensus (was: NA masks in the next numpy release?)

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 19:09:49 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/10/28 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:
>> > The space issues was never ignored and Mark left room for that to be
>> > addressed.  Parameterized dtypes can still be added (and isn't all that
>> > different from multi-na). Perhaps I could be convinced of a having np.MA
>> > assignments mean "ignore" and np.NA mean "absent".  How far off are we
>> > really from consensus?
>>
>> Do you know whether Mark is around?  I think his feedback would be
>> useful at this point; having written the code, he'll be able to
>> evaluate some of the technical suggestions made.
>>

> Yes, Mark is around, but I assume he is interested in his school work at
> this point. And he might not be inclined to get back into this particular
> discussion. I don't feel he was treated very well by some last time around.

We have not always been good at separating the concept of disagreement
from that of rudeness.

As I've said before, one form of rudeness (and not disagreement) is
ignoring people.

We should all be careful to point out - respectfully, and with reasons
- when we find our colleagues replies (or non-replies) to be rude,
because rudeness is very bad for the spirit of open discussion.

Best,

Matthew