[Numpy-discussion] Memory hungry reduce ops in Numpy

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Tue Nov 15 13:03:48 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 05:57:14PM +0000, Robert Kern wrote:
> Actually, last time I suggested it, it was brought up that the online
> algorithms can be worse numerically. I'll try to find the thread.

Indeed, especially for smallish datasets where the memory overhead is not
an issue. I think that this is a common situation for which there is not
_one_ good algorithm to solve the problem. IMHO the best way forward is
to propose several options to the user, either with several function, or
with a keyword argument.

Gael