[Numpy-discussion] dedicated function for resize with averaging or rebin 2d arrays?

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Fri Nov 11 10:07:35 EST 2011

Hi Andrea,

scipy.ndimage.zoom will do this nicely for magnification. (Just set the spline order to 0 to get nearest-neighbor interpolation; otherwise you can use higher orders for better smoothing.)

For decimation (zooming out) scipy.ndimage.zoom also works, but it's not as nice as a dedicated decimation filter that would average properly over the area that's being squeezed into a single output pixel. (You'd have to choose the spline order manually to approximate that.) I'm afraid I don't have enough signal-processing background to know how to write a proper general-purpose decimation filter -- basically, you convolve with whatever bandlimiting filter (e.g. a gaussian, or do it in the Fourier domain), then just do nearest-neighbor downsampling, but I'm never sure how to properly choose the filter parameters!

Between this and ndimage.zoom for magnifying, one could get together a much better "rebin" function that in the edge cases of integer magnification/minification should work the same as the IDL one. But the participants in the old discussion you highlighted seemed unhappy with the time/space used for proper decimation, so I'm not sure what really would be best.

Zach