[Numpy-discussion] Windows dev-build Numpy 1.6.1

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Wed May 18 17:40:54 EDT 2011

On 05/18/2011 03:28 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Wieland Brendel
> <wielandbrendel at gmx.net <mailto:wielandbrendel at gmx.net>> wrote:
>
>     I succeeded now in installing the latest Numpy version. There was some
>     problem in mingw32ccompiler.py. I had to change the lines
>
>                  elif self.gcc_version < "4.":
>                      self.set_executables(compiler='gcc -mno-cygwin
>     -O2 -Wall',
>                                           compiler_so='gcc -mno-cygwin -O2
>     -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes',
>                                           linker_exe='g++ -mno-cygwin',
>                                           linker_so='g++ -mno-cygwin
>     -shared')
>                  else:
>                      # gcc-4 series releases do not support
>     -mno-cygwin option
>                      self.set_executables(compiler='gcc -O2 -Wall',
>                                           compiler_so='gcc -O2 -Wall
>     -Wstrict-prototypes',
>                                           linker_exe='g++ ',
>                                          linker_so='g++ -shared')
>
>     into
>
>                 else:
>                     self.set_executables(compiler='gcc -mno-cygwin -O2
>     -Wall',
>                                          compiler_so='gcc -mno-cygwin -O2
>     -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes',
>                                          linker_exe='g++ -mno-cygwin',
>                                          linker_so='g++ -mno-cygwin
>     -shared')
>
>     Thanks very much for your help again!
>

> Glad you solved it. Can you tell us the details of your setup (gcc
> version, Cygwin version)?
>
> The comment on -mno-cygwin is not completely correct, in gcc 4.0
> -mno-cygwin was deprecated and it was only removed in gcc 4.3.2
> according to
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2008-09/msg00005.html. Excerpt:
>
> "Finally, I have removed the controversial "-mno-cygwin" flag.  Cause
> of much
> debate on the Cygwin mailing list, it is nevertheless the case that
> this flag
> has never worked entirely correctly - some cygwin headers are still
> visible in
> MinGW mode, which can lead to compilation errors.  For the moment, the
> original gcc-3.4.4 package can be used to compile MinGW applications,
> but in
> the near future I will make available a mingw-targeted gcc-4.3.2
> cross-compiler."
>
> That may mean we should update that version check to <4.3, although
> I'm not entirely sure that there aren't cygwin gcc packages with lower
> versions and that flag removed.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Ralf

Related to another email thread of mine, I would definitely say that
bugs on systems with an sufficiently old gcc version relative to the
current release are either invalid or closed as won't fix. Especially
when older numpy (or even Numeric/numarray) releases are available that
worked with these older gcc versions.

For those interested, GCC the different release dates are listed at
http://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html - 4.0.0 was released in 2005 and 4.3.0
was released in 2008. While not cygwin, I know that numpy 1.6.0 passes
the tests on Fedora 8 with GCC 4.1.2 (2007).  So I do not know what
compiler version should be imposed as a minimum without someone spending
the time trying different versions - which seems rather unproductive.

Bruce