[Numpy-discussion] ANN: Numpy 1.6.0 release candidate 2

DJ Luscher djl at lanl.gov
Thu May 5 16:51:06 EDT 2011

Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am pleased to announce the availability of the second release
> candidate of NumPy 1.6.0.
>
> Compared to the first release candidate, one segfault on (32-bit
> Windows + MSVC) and several memory leaks were fixed. If no new
> problems are reported, the final release will be in one week.
>
> Sources and binaries can be found at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.6.0rc2/
> For (preliminary) release notes see below.
>
> Enjoy,
> Ralf
>
> =========================
> NumPy 1.6.0 Release Notes
> =========================
>
> Fortran assumed shape array and size function support in ``numpy.f2py``
>
> F2py now supports wrapping Fortran 90 routines that use assumed shape
> arrays.  Before such routines could be called from Python but the
> corresponding Fortran routines received assumed shape arrays as zero
> length arrays which caused unpredicted results. Thanks to Lorenz
> Hüdepohl for pointing out the correct way to interface routines with
> assumed shape arrays.
>
> In addition, f2py interprets Fortran expression ``size(array, dim)``
> as ``shape(array, dim-1)`` which makes it possible to automatically
> wrap Fortran routines that use two argument ``size`` function in
> dimension specifications. Before users were forced to apply this
> mapping manually.

Regarding the f2py support for assumed shape arrays:

I'm just struggling along trying to learn how to use f2py to interface with
fortran source, so please be patient if I am missing something obvious.  That
said, in test cases I've run the new f2py assumed-shape-array support in Numpy
1.6.0.rc2 seems to conflict with the support for f90-style modules.  For example:

<foo_mod.f90>

       ! -*- fix -*-

       module easy

       real, parameter :: anx(4) = (/1.,2.,3.,4./)

       contains

       subroutine sum(x, res)
         implicit none
         real, intent(in) :: x(:)
         real, intent(out) :: res

         integer :: i

         !print *, "sum: size(x) = ", size(x)

         res = 0.0

         do i = 1, size(x)
           res = res + x(i)
         enddo

       end subroutine sum

       end module easy

when compiled with:
f2py -c --fcompiler=intelem foo_mod.f90  -m e

then:

python
import e
print e.easy.sum(e.easy.anx)

returns: 0.0

Also (and I believe related) f2py can no longer compile source with assumed
shape array valued functions within a module.  Even though the python wrapped
code did not function properly when called from python, it did work when called
from other fortran code.  It seems that the interface has been broken.  The
previous version of Numpy I was using was 1.3.0 all on Ubuntu 10.04, Python 2.6,
and using Intel fortran compiler.

thanks for your consideration and feedback.

DJ