[Numpy-discussion] Ticket closing policy

Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 13:28:08 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:22 PM, David <david at silveregg.co.jp> wrote:

> Hi Mark, hi all,
>
> I noticed you did a lot of cleaning in the bug trackers, thank you for
> helping there, this is sorely needed.
>
> However, I noticed quite a few tickets were closed as wontfix even
> though they are valid. I understand the concern of getting many
> languishing tickets, but one should not close valid tickets either.
> Also, in my experience, issues specific to win32 should not be closed
> because they work on Linux - I remember the fastputmask issue was still
> there not so long ago (but could not understand what was going on,
> unfortunately).

I understand your concern, but I think since dealing with bug reports
requires subjective judgement calls, it's going to be a bit messy. That's
why the bug tracker timeline is there to let people see what changes have
been made and peer review those choices.

In the fastputmask case, it was about the test suite crashing on win32 as
well as a memory leak on Linux. I commented about testing the latter, but
could have also added a justification for the former that no win32 test
suite crash reports were coming in during the beta testing. Regardless,
please add to the discussion on any bugs I've modified where you believe
I've erred, this is a collaborative effort!

Cheers,
Mark