[Numpy-discussion] problems w/ fortran compiler when compiling 1.5.1 on RHEL5

John Cartwright john.c.cartwright at comcast.net
Sun Mar 6 18:18:43 EST 2011

Hello All,

I'm trying to compile 1.5.1 on a RHEL5 system and I'm specifying:

 python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=gnu95 build

when doing the build. I see the message "Found executable /usr/bin/gfortran" - so far so good.  However when I go to install using:

python setup.py install

I see the warnings "gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found".  How can I avoid this? install doesn't recognize the fcompiler option.  I also notice that
"python setup.py clean" keeps reporting "language = f77".

It appears that both f77 and gfortran are installed although the gfortran appears to have been used to compile liblapack.so (libgfortran.so.1 is listed as a dependency).

Can someone please help me?

Thanks!

--john