[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.6 schedule (was: Numpy 2.0 schedule)

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 23:13:44 EST 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com>wrote:

> My point is also that we need to make sure the broadcasting rules are
> consistent for both addition and array copy.
>
> Addition would not create an error if a (1,20) array was added to a (20,)
> array.   Therefore, a (1,20) array can also copied into a (20,) array --- as
> can a (1,1,1,1,20) array.   Conversely, a (20,1) or a (1,1,20,1,1) array can
> not be copied into a (20,) array.

Well, adding a (1,20) array to a (20,) array gives a (1,20) array. Changing
this for assignment is like english spelling ( 'I' before 'e' except after
'c', or sounded 'a' as in neighbor and weigh -- with various exceptions) or
having to learn to conjugate irregular verbs. Most illogical. That said, I
suppose we have to support it for backward compatibility. It doesn't seem to
be used that much, however, probably because it isn't obvious.

Chuck