[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.6 schedule (was: Numpy 2.0 schedule)

Travis Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Fri Mar 4 18:40:14 EST 2011

Thanks (again) for taking this on Ralf.  You are doing a superb job and deserve much thanks for keeping the NumPy project on track.

I'm very encouraged by the NumPy 1.6 work.   I was looking over the code some more on the plane yesterday that Mark Wiebe has checked in (I finally was able to create my own fork of NumPy and start hacking on it again).   The new ufunc refactoring is very good and Mark should be congratulated.   It puts NumPy in a good place for further work that can be done for NumPy 2.0.

I do have one question, however.   It looks like the code for ufunc casting behavior was changed almost completely.   I have no intrinsic problem with that, but I am a bit concerned that we may not have tested all the corner cases very well.   The code that was in NumPy was a straightforward alteration of the algorithm that has been in use since 1995 when Numeric was written.   That is not to say that it is "correct," just that it had a certain behavior.     Large scale code changes typically have alternative "accidental" behavior.

I am just a little nervous that the code changes will mean that more code will break than we expect.   To me, what this means is that we just emphasize the point in the release notes, and encourage people to test their code as soon as possible during the month-long beta-testing phase.

All the best,

-Travis