Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 20:54:53 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:
> > Again, there are pros and cons either way and I see them very orthogonal
> and
> > complementary.
>
> That may be true, but I imagine only one of them will be implemented.
>
> @Mark - I don't have a clear idea whether you consider the nafloat64
> option to be still in play as the first thing to be implemented
> (before array.mask).   If it is, what kind of thing would persuade you
> either way?

I'm focusing all of my effort on getting my proposal of adding a mask to the
core ndarray into a state where it satisfies everyone's requirements as best
I can. I'm not precluding the possibility that someone could convince me
that the na-dtype is good, but I gave it a good chunk of thought before
starting to write the proposal. To persuade me towards the na-dtype option,
I need to be convinced that I'm solving the problem class in a generic way
that works orthogonally with other features, with manageable implementation
requirements, a very usable result for both strong and weak programmers, and
with good performance characteristics. I think the na-dtype approach isn't
as generic as I would like, and the implementation seems like it would be
trickier than the masked approach.

Thanks,
Mark