Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 11:14:59 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:07, Laurent Gautier <lgautier at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-06-24 16:43, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would definitely steal their choices of NA value for naint32 and
>> nafloat64. I have reservations about their string NA value (i.e. 'NA')
>> as anyone doing business in North America and other continents may
>> have issues with that....
>
> May be there is not so much need for reservation over the string NA, when
> making the distinction between:
> a- the internal representation of a "missing string" (what is stored in
> memory, and that C-level code would need to be aware of)
> b- the 'external' representation of a missing string (in Python, what would
> be returned by repr() )
> c- what is assumed to be a missing string value when reading from a file.
>
> a/ is not 'NA', c/ should be a parameter in the relevant functions, b/ can
> be configured as a module-level, class-level, or instance-level variable.

In R, a/ happens to be 'NA', unfortunately. :-/

I'm not really sure how they handle datasets that use valid 'NA'
values. Presumably, their input routines allow one to convert such
values to something else such that it can use 'NA'==NA internally.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco