Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 23 19:39:56 EDT 2011

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> IME
> it's important for the default behavior to be to fail loudly when
> things are wonky, not to silently patch them up, possibly
> incorrectly!)

+1 for default behavior to fail, raise errors, or return "unknown
values" is these situations.

Though that behavior should be over-ridable with a flag or addition
functions (like nan-sum)

Robert Kern wrote:
> How your proposal
> improves on the status quo, i.e. numpy.ma.

I've thought for years that masked arrays should be better integrated
with numpy -- it seems there is a lot of code duplication and upkeep
required to keep masked arrays working as much like regular arrays as
possible. Particularly having third-party code work with them.

And I'm not sure I can explain why, but I find myself hardly ever using
masked arrays -- it just feels like added complication to use them -- I
tend to work with floats and use NaN instead, even though it's often not
as good an option.

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> Right now, the numpy array can be seen as an extension of the C array,
> basically a pointer, a data type, and a shape (and strides). This enables
> easy sharing with libraries that have not been written with numpy in
> mind.

Isn't that what the PEP 3118 extended buffer protocol is supposed to be for?

Anyway, good stuff!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov