[Numpy-discussion] Current datetime pull requests ready for review

Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 17:34:49 EDT 2011

I've been trying to separate out the features I've been doing into separate
branches so I can split up into multiple pull, but the development I'm doing
works pretty poorly with this workflow. Nearly every step of development
builds on or uses changes from previous features. Since github doesn't do
dependent pull requests, I'm going to go back to developing in a single
branch to merge into master periodically.

There are currently two pull requests ready to go, which could use some
review:

"Datetime unit from string" https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/85

This makes conversion from a string to a datetime scalar automatically
detect the unit if it's not specified. To support the same idea for arrays
will require adding generic time units as I described in another email.

"Unify datetime/timedelta type promotion"
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/86

This simplifies the rules of how datetimes and timedeltas combine to always
take the gcd/more precise unit instead of having the various special cases
as the NEP described. The motivation for this change was based on how
restricting those rules felt after spending some time experimenting with
datetime calculations.

Please review!

Cheers,
Mark