[Numpy-discussion] merging datetime progress

Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 11:26:16 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Mark Wiebe <mwwiebe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I went ahead and did the merge today as I said I wanted to, that pull
> > request is some further development for someone to code-review if they
> have
> > time.
>
> I'm curious as to why there was a need to push ahead with the merge
> right away, without giving the original pull request more time for
> feedback?  If I'm not mistaken, the big merge was this PR:
>
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/83
>
> and it was just opened a few days ago, containing a massive amount of
> work, and so far had only received some feedback from charris,
> explicitly requesting a little more breakdown to make digesting it
> easier.

This is all true, I'll try to explain what my thought process was in doing
the merge. This set of changes basically takes the codebase from a basically
unusable datetime to a good starting point for all the design discussions
that we've been having on the mailing list. I opened the pull request with
about half of the changes that were there to try and get some feedback, and
kept developing on a datetime-fixes2 branch. When I reached the point that I
later merged in, nobody had responded so I added the new commits to the same
pull request.

Perhaps I should have more patience with git history-editing and revisiting
the development history, but I've basically come to the conclusion that it's
not worth the effort except on relatively minor things, so I want to rather
focus on the code and its design instead of the particular series of commits
that produced it. In doing those commits, I had to repeatedly double back
and implement new missing functionality before returning to and finishing up
what I was working on.

For the development I'm doing now, which is related to the multitude of
design discussions, I'm splitting it up into more topical branches partially
because the work I merged provides a solid foundation for doing so, and
because these are things diverging from the NEP instead of being things I
perceived as having already had a discussion process during the NEP
formation.

I tried to see if github would let me do a "dependent" pull request, but it
just included the commits from the branch my later development was sitting
on, and that's probably the main reason I wanted to do a post-commit style
review for this set of changes instead of pre-commit. I wrote this email to
try and communicate my transition from pre-commit to post-commit review, but
I think my wording about this probably wasn't clear.

I realize that I'm not really an active numpy contributor in any
> significant way, and I see that you've put a ton of work into this,
> including a very detailed and impressive discussion on the list on
> with multiple people.  So my opinion is just that of a user, not
> really a core numpy developer.

I think your opinion is much more than that, particularly since you're
actively working on closely related projects using the same community
infrastructure.

But it seems to me that part of having numpy be a better
> community-driven project is precisely achieved by having the patience
> to allow others to provide feedback and testing, even if they aren't
> 100% experts.  And one thing that github really shines at, is making
> the review/feedback process about as painless as possible (I actually
> find it kind of fun).

Definitely true (except for not having dependent pull requests, unless my
search was too shallow...). That pull request also has nothing to do with
the discussion we're currently having, it's more of a prerequisite, so
anyone who is following the discussion and wants to dig in and review the
code I'm doing related to that discussion will be lost in a swamp. By
merging this prerequisite, and introducing separated, cleaner pull requests
on that base that are directly from issues being discussed, this kind of
community collaboration is much more likely to happen. I've simply done a
bad job of communicating this, and as I'm doing the things we're discussing
I'll try and tie these different elements better to encourage the ideals
you're describing.

For example, with this merge, numpy HEAD right now won't even compile
> on x86_64, something that would easily have been caught with a bit
> more review, especially since it's so easy to test (even I can do
> that).  It's been a long time since we had a situation where numpy
> didn't cleanly at least build from HEAD, so if nothing else, it's a
> (small) sign that this particular merge could have used a few more
> eyes...

I apologize for that, I've grown accustomed to having little to no review to
my pull requests, except from Chuck whose time and effort I've greatly
appreciated, and has significantly improved the contributions I've made. The
only active C-level NumPy development currently appears to be what I'm
doing, and the great clean-up/extension proposals that Chuck has emailed
about. I would like it if the buildbot system worked better to let me
automatically trigger some build/tests on a variety of platforms before
merging a branch, but it is as it is.

I realize that it's sometimes frustrating to have a lot of code
> sitting in review, and I know that certain efforts are large and
> self-contained enough that it's impractical to expect a detailed
> line-by-line review.  We've had a few such monster branches in ipython
> in the past, but at least in those cases we've always tried to ensure
> several core people (over skype if needed) have a chance to go over
> the entire big picture, discuss the main details with the author so
> they can know what to focus on from the large merge, and run the tests
> in as many scenarios as is realistic.  And so far we haven't really
> had any problems with this approach, even if it does require a little
> more patience in seeing that (often very high quality) work make it to
> the mainline.

That approach sounds great, and NumPy needs more active core developers!

Cheers,
Mark