[Numpy-discussion] Developer NumPy list versus User NumPy list

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 08:56:05 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 8:29 AM, James A. Bednar <jbednar at inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> |  Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:32:22 -0700
> |  From: Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
> |
> |  On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> |
> |  > On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 17:17, Travis Oliphant <teoliphant at gmail.com> wrote:
> |  >
> |  > > Hey all,
> |  > >
> |  > > What is the thought about having two separate NumPy lists (one
> |  > > for development discussions and one for user discussions)?
> |  >
> |  > We've resisted it for years. I don't think the split has done
> |  > scipy much good. But that may just be my perspective because I'm
> |  > subscribed to both and filter them both to the same folder.
> |
> |  Me too. I don't think there is so much traffic that a distinction
> |  needs to be made.
>
> I'm subscribed to the numpy digest, and I have 8 digest emails from
> yesterday (27 January), i.e. one single day, sitting in my inbox.
> These 8 digests represent who knows how many separate emails.  If that
> is not heavy traffic, I really wouldn't know what is!
>
> As someone who uses numpy heavily (I manage a large numpy-based
> software project) but is not a numpy developer, I would very much
> appreciate having a separate user list.  I can't bring myself to
> unsubscribe from the current list, for fear of not noticing some
> important new features, related packages, or serious issues, but
> sorting out those things from the rest of the posts does take
> significant work.  None of my actual developers subscribe any more, as
> they found the volume of posts overwhelming, so I've sacrificed myself
> so that I can try to notice anything important and bring it to their
> attention.  Anything that would help that would be greatly
> appreciated!

Maybe a digest is not the best way to screen the messages. In threaded
view (in gmail reader or Thunderbird) I have 2 to 5 threads a day in
the last half month from the numpy mailing list, so I find it easy to
screen threads.

I think quite a bit of user traffic for numpy has moved to
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/numpy and to me it looks
like the mailing list gets mostly the "heavier" questions.

Josef