[Numpy-discussion] 64 bit Windows installers for NumPy?

Peter numpy-discussion at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jan 22 09:20:43 EST 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:24 AM, Peter
> <numpy-discussion at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I believe the problem has been been 64 bit fortran for ATLAS, the mingw
>> > version has/had problems. A plain build using the MS compilers works
>> > fine without ATLAS.
>> >
>> > Chuck
>>
>> Do you think there would be interest/demand for official non-ATLAS
>> binaries as a short term solution?
>
> I doubt this would add much to what's currently available unofficially.

But it would be "official", which counts for something - especially in
commercial setting.

>> I'm thinking also of 3rd party Python libraries that use NumPy, and if
>> they/we can ship a win64 installer if NumPy doesn't.
>
> This is no problem of course. If I were you though, I would first consider
> if it's not better to refer your users to the Enthought version, or the
> builds provided by Christoph Gohlke for example.

We're currently pointing people on 64 bit Windows towards Christoph
Gohlke's unofficial builds. I'd be quite happy if Christoph's 64bit NumPy
installer was blessed as official and distributed via the NumPy website
(but there may be technical issues I'm unaware of).

Peter