[Numpy-discussion] Variable in an array name?

dstaley dstaley at usgs.gov
Wed Jan 12 10:40:51 EST 2011

Zachary Pincus-2 wrote:

>> Is it possible to use a variable in an array name?  I am looping
>> through a
>> bunch of calculations, and need to have each array as a separate
>> entity.
>> I'm pretty new to python and numpy, so forgive my ignorance.  I'm
>> sure there
>> is a simple answer, but I can't seem to find it.
>>
>> let's say i have a variable 'i':
>>
>> i = 5
>>
>> I would like my array to have the name array5
>>
>> I know how I could do this manually, but not in a loop where i is
>> redefined
>> several times.
>
> There are ways to do this, but what you likely actually want is just
> to put several arrays in a python list and then index into the list,
> instead of constructing numbered names.
>
> e.g.:
>
> array_list = []
>
> for whatever:
>    array_list.append(numpy.array(whatever))
>
> for array in array_list:
>    do_something(array)
>
> given_array = array_list[i]

Thank you very much for the prompt response.  I have already done what you
have suggested, but there are a few cases where I do need to have an array
named with a variable (looping through large numbers of unrelated files and
calculations that need to be dumped into different analyses).  It would be
extraordinarily helpful if someone could post a solution to this problem,
regardless of inefficiency of the method.  Thanks a ton for any additional
help.