[Numpy-discussion] What does fftn take as parameters?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 6 12:59:07 EST 2011

On 12/6/2011 8:32 AM, Roger Binns wrote:
>> I think this cannot be helped --- it does not make sense to explain
>> basic Numpy concepts in every docstring, especially `axis` and `shape`
>> are very common.
>
> They don't need to be explained on the page, but instead link to a page
> that does explain them.

That would be a lot of links -- I understand your frustration, but fft
is not a stand-alone fft lib -- it is a numpy module, tehre is litle
choice but to understand a bit of numpy to use it. and "shape" and
"axis" are quite core to numpy.

>  The test is that an experienced Python programmer
> should be able to understand what is going on from the fft doc page and
> every page it links to.

that's not a reasonable expectation, sorry.

I doubt you'd be able to use matlab's fft functions with no knowledge of
MATLAB, either.

> And examples not using "square" inputs.

yes, good idea -- when I'm testing things, I always make the point of
using non-square examples, so it's clear which asix is which.

By the way, if you are getting JSON (from a web service?), converting to
liats, converting to numpy arrays, then fft-ing (then maybe converting
all that back?) I doubt that the performance of the ffts will be your
bottleneck -- I'd write it the easiest way you can -- loops will be fine.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov