[Numpy-discussion] NumPy Governance

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Mon Dec 5 18:17:56 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, that's a tough one. Numpy development tends to attract folks with
> spare time, i.e., students*, and those with an itch to scratch. Itched
> scratched, degree obtained, they go back to their primary interest or on to
> jobs and the rest of life.

NumPy does seem to be different in this regard, in that many of the
developers stick around (even if they're not active on the code any
longer), think about potential issues and new directions, take part in
discussions, teach at conferences, organise workshops, write, etc.

I agree with Matthew that using a board should be a last resort, and
mildly disagree with Perry that it would be better to have a single
person make the final call.  The advantage of a benevolent dictator is
that you have a coherent driving vision, but at the cost of
sacrificing community ownership.

As for barriers to entry, improving the the nature of discourse on the
mailing list (when it comes to thorny issues) would be good.
Technical barriers are not that hard to breach for our community;
setting the right social atmosphere is crucial.

Regards
Stéfan