[Numpy-discussion] numpy.load truncates read from network file on XP

Dan Halbert halbert at halwitz.org
Thu Apr 28 17:22:53 EDT 2011

I'm having trouble loading a large remote .npy file on Windows XP. This is on numpy-1.3.0 on Windows XP SP3:

    numpy.load(r'\\myserver\mydir\big.npy')

will fail with this sort of error being printed:
    "14328000 items requested but only 54 read"
and then I get this with a backtrace:
    "ValueError: total size of new array must be unchanged" (due to the truncated array)

The file big.npy is a big 2d array, about 112MB.

The same file when stored locally gives no error when read. I can also read it into an editor, or copy it, and I get the whole thing.

More strangely, the same file when read from the same UNC path on Windows 7 64-bit (with the same 32-bit versions of all Python-related software) does not give an error either.

The fileserver in question is a NetApp box. Any clues? My websearching hasn't netted any leads.

Thanks a lot,
Dan