[Numpy-discussion] constructing an array from memory

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Fri Sep 24 13:21:01 EDT 2010

> I'm trying to do something ... unusual.
>
> gdb support scripting with Python. From within my python script, I can
> get the address of a contiguous area of memory that stores a  fortran
> array. I want to creat a NumPy array using "frombuffer". I see that
> the CPython API supports the creation of a buffer, but, is there an
> easier, more direct, way?

Here's how I do a similar task:
numpy.ndarray(shape, dtype=dtype,
buffer=(ctypes.c_char*size_in_bytes).from_address(address))

You may need the strides or order parameters, as well.

Perhaps there's an easier way to create a buffer from an integer
memory address, but this seems pretty straightforward.

Zach