[Numpy-discussion] Median method for ndarray

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 11:38:48 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:12, Gökhan Sever <gokhansever at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a particular reason why there isn't a median method for
> ndarray?

numpy.median() is coded in Python, not C. There is often no particular
reason that a numpy function is duplicated as an ndarray method except
that when numpy was made, many of those functions were already in C
and could be easily made into methods. A choice was made at that time
to make many of those methods. The reasoning behind that choice is not
always strong.

> If not so, could we get one?

-1. Not every function in numpy must be an ndarray method. I don't
want to dilute the methods further.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."