[Numpy-discussion] Atlas build issues

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Wed Oct 20 03:23:49 EDT 2010

I am really sorry to be landing on the mailing list with Atlas build
issues. I usually manage be myself to build Atlas, but this time I have
been fighting for a couple of days with little success.

The reason I need to build Atlas is that our work computers are stuck on
Mandriva 2008.0, in which the version of Atlas packaged by the system is
not usable.

Anyhow, I lost quite a while with Atlas 3.9.26, for which I was never
able to build libaries that could be used in a '.so' (seemed that the
-fPIC was not working, but really I don't understand what was going on in
the maze of makefiles). After that I switched to 3.9;25, which I have
already have gotten working on another system (Mandriva 2008, but 32
bits). Know everything builds, but I get a missing symbol at the import:

from numpy.linalg import lapack_lite
ImportError: /volatile/varoquau/dev/numpy/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so:
undefined symbol: zgesdd_

I don't have g77 installed on the system at all, to avoid gfortran/g77
mixups.

I am attaching the stout of 'python setup.py build_ext -i', in case it
contains useful information.

Would anybody have suggestions with regards to what I am doing wrong?

Cheers,

Gaël