[Numpy-discussion] whitespace in git repo

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 23:25:10 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Friedrich Romstedt <
friedrichromstedt at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/10/19 Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com>:
> > We have been discussing whitespace and line endings at the following
> > pull request: http://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4 . Chuck suggested
> > we discuss it here on the list.
> >
> > I have the following set in my ~/.gitconfig file:
> >
> >    [apply]
> >        whitespace = fix
> >
> >    [core]
> >        autocrlf = input
> >
> > which is attempting to correct some changes in:
> >
> > branding/icons/numpylogo.svg
> > branding/icons/numpylogoicon.svg
> > tools/win32build/nsis_scripts/numpy-superinstaller.nsi.in
> >
> > David C. suggested that the nsi.in file should not be changed. I
> > suggested adding a .gitattributes file along with the existing
> > .gitignore file in the numpy repo. This would enforce windows line
> > endings for the nsi.in file:
> >
> > tools/win32build/nsis_scripts/numpy-superinstaller.nsi.in eol=crlf
> >
> > alternatively this would disable any attempt to convert line endings:
> >
> > tools/win32build/nsis_scripts/numpy-superinstaller.nsi.in -text
>
> This may be useful here:
>
> http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2007/09/git-binary-files-and-cherry-picking.html
>
> Treating svgs and the other files as binary will increase diff's size,
> but maybe it's an option?
>
> my 2 cents, fwiw,

Well, this post hasn't generated much comment. I think we do need a
.gitconfig file for the project so why don't you go ahead and make one and
deal with the nsi.in file in the process. The .svg files can have their line
endings converted to line feeds which will give us two less files to worry
about.

Chuck