[Numpy-discussion] help from OS X 10.5 users wanted

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 13 11:30:15 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 4:48 AM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov>wrote:

> Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > Yes I got one response at http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/1322, a
> > negative one unfortunately.
>
> For what it's worth, the posted binary seems to work fine on my OS-X
> 10.5 PPC system (python2.6), so maybe the PPC part works, the Intel part
> not.
>
> Thanks, good to know.

> > My conclusion is that binaries built on 10.6
> > do not work on 10.5 even when using the correct SDK and deployment
> > target.
>
> Well, I still think if you do everything right, it works, but yes, it is
> a pain to get right, and a pain to test. Building on the oldest system
> you want to support is a lot easier.

I don't think so - at least I have not been able to find a fix for the error
below in the many many bug reports one can find:

ImportError?: dlopen(somefile.so, 2): no suitable image found. Did find:

    somefile.so: unknown required load command 0x80000022

> > Sage distributes separate binaries for each OS X version, presumably
> > compiled on those same versions. If we want to have a 10.5 binary we
> > should just do the same.
>
> I don't think so -- that's a lot to maintain, and the older versions
> work on the newer OS -- so why build the newer?

Good point. I was starting from the assumption I would be building on 10.6
anyway, since that's the only version I have available myself.