[Numpy-discussion] How to export a CObject from NumPy to my own module?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 24 12:59:50 EST 2010

On 11/24/10 9:35 AM, NumPyStudent wrote:

> Well, I believe I should problably use the PyArray_API instead
> (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t358140-re-dynamically-loaded-libraries.html),
> since it seems it's implemented in NumPy for this exact reason(?).
> Can anyone point me in the direction of a good step-step guide og using this
> api to export function pointers from NumPy to your own modules?

It's not clear to me what you really are trying accomplish here. A
little more detail about your problem may help.

If what you are trying to do is write a C-extension that can take numpy
arrays as input, and/or provide them as output, while working natively
with the data inside them in C, then yes, working with the numpy C api
is the way to go.

However, I suggest you take a look at Cython:

http://www.cython.org/

It provides a much easier way to write python extensions, and has
build-in understanding of numpy arrays. It can call arbitrary C code so
there are no limits to its functionality, but it will save you much pain
in reference coutning, converting to/from python objects, etc.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov