[Numpy-discussion] pyc and pyo files in dmg and other python3 questions also a dmg for python3.1 to try

Eric Firing efiring at hawaii.edu
Sun Nov 14 14:36:18 EST 2010

On 11/14/2010 05:03 AM, Vincent Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Vincent Davis<vincent at vincentdavis.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The questions below regard the osx dmg installer, not sure about how
>>> this applies to other installers.
>>>
>>> I noticed that pyc and pyo files are included in the binaries. Is
>>> there a reason for this? I have removed them in the dmg for python3.1
>>
>> Some reasons I can think of are reducing startup time, avoiding permissions
>> issues for writing .pyc or .pyo files, and consistency (you're sure all
>> installs have the same .pyo files).
>
> Right but are they not recreated when the corresponding py file is
> accessed? So the speed to would only apply to the first run after
> install.

They won't be written unless the user has write permission in the
directories where the py files reside, which is normally not the case
when an installer is used, or any system-wide installation is done.
Inclusion of .pyc and/or .pyo files is a standard part of the
installation process for any platform.  There is no advantage in trying
to remove them.

Eric