[Numpy-discussion] C-compiler options

Dan Yamins dyamins at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 07:48:41 EST 2010

> Yes, it should. This was fixed a couple of days ago in
> commit:435c7262592e94c8519f (master) and commit:8346ba04a5c574441304
> (1.5.x). I guess you used an older revision, can you please update and
> try again?

Did this, but am having the same problem.    This is the relevant output at
the beginning of the build process that is showing that the wrong options
being used:

$python setup.py build

C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -dynamic -pipe
-O2 -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes

So then when I try to actually use the installed binary, I get this error:

In [1]: import numpy
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)

----> 5 import multiarray
      6 import umath
      7 import _internal # for freeze programs

ImportError: dlopen(numpy/core/multiarray.so, 2): no suitable image found.
 Did find:
numpy/core/multiarray.so: mach-o, but wrong architecture

Obviously consistently,

$file numpy/core/multiarray.so
numpy/core/multiarray.so: Mach-O bundle i386

Somehow, the build config script is not picking up the fact that the python
interpreter I'm using is 64bit.

Dan